11/1/17

Hope your birthday is like...

Hi friends!

Did any of you see recently where Ellen Hutson asked what crafty trend do you dislike that most people seem to love? It was a great topic of discussion on Facebook and Instagram; I loved joining that conversation! I'm the one that never joined the mermaid wave (HA), pineapple palooza, or unicorn unites! Not my thing, but they are the thing of many others and they make amazing creations with them!

I had a friend ask for a mermaid card for a friend's birthday; she specifically wanted it to say: "I hope your birthday is like a shimmering mermaid"; then she sent me this link: Cottonelle Shimmering Mermaid. That's just funny peeps! So I had used a mermaid previously from Ladybug Crafts Ink (no longer in business) and knew it would be perfect to use again. So I set about making my card.


I created an ombre mermaid's tail and she needed blonde hair per request - and while I was at it, I created ombre fish too! I created the text and printed it on card stock; the rest is just lots of layering. I added a super thin layer of purple to accent the shirt, then when trying to figure out what to do for the background, I had created this polka dot piece with Nuvo mousse sponged over the top, but I just didn't like it. But I did cut down a small piece and add to the main panel; you have to look super close to see the shimmer and polka dots but it's there and I like it!


Painted with Mother of Pearl Nuvo mousse on the tail and fish
I finished it off with a wave die cut from Taylored Expressions (also colored ombre and pretending to be Kathy Racoosin, I used a nubby rag and colorless blending solution for texture - posted pics in progress on my Instagram story, looks SO COOL IRL. You can see a bit of the texture in the polka dot photo above) and some sparkling white enamel dots. Thanks for stopping by; hope you are having a great week!

Hugs!


WHAT'S IT TAKE?
Stamps: Ladybug Crafts Ink Mermaid (discontinued)
Papers: PTI Aqua Mist, Neenah 80 and 110 lb. white
Ink: Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers, Tumbled Glass distress inks
Accessories: MFT blueprintswhite sparkling enamel dots, mother of pearl Nuvo mousse, Taylored Expresses wave die (discontinued, but I linked to some others), Copics, MFT Word Window dies, Tonic jewel drops

Challenges:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and taking time to leave me a note! I read every single one and *heart* hearing from you. Hugs, ~M.